This Brown Sugar Caramel Icing, aka Penuche Icing, aka Spice Cake Icing, aka Cinnamon Roll Icing is a delicious and all purpose icing that has many uses. I found references to it in quite a few places in the old family cookbooks. Most often used for spice cake or cinnamon rolls, you can’t go wrong topping a dessert with it (even a chocolate cake)! Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup of brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
- Melt butter
- Stir in brown sugar
- Bring to boil, and boil for 2 minutes (longer than 2 minutes causes issues later)
- Add milk and return to boil (happens very quickly in my experience)
- Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm
- Add powdered sugar to cool mixture and beat until thick (if too think, add a little hot water). Spread on dessert.